National Dance Like a Chicken Day on May 14th is one of the more amusing holidays I’ve found on our calendar. It got me thinking about how business owners often feel like a chicken with its head chopped off as they run from task to task day in and day out. Being organized helps all of us feel more in control of our time and our activities.
According to Cena Block, Productivity & Performance Consultant for Mom Entrepreneurs, one of the best ways to get motivated to work is to start first by getting your office organized. In fact, it is one of the easiest and most simple ways to kick off your daily productivity, especially when you’re feeling stuck and unmotivated in your space. If you struggle with productivity at work, it might be time to organize your office.
Starting with learning your natural preferences and what makes you tick will help you stay organized for good since your personality preferences rarely change. Arming yourself with information leads to higher awareness and self-knowledge. Since being productive has a lot to do with how you spend your time and make decisions it always helps to know more about what is natural to you already. Cena Block, www.SaneSpaces.com
With so much going on in my life, let me share my personal top 5 tips that keep me organized and moving in the right direction, at least most days.
- I make a complete list and date it. Once the list is complete, I start to feel more in control by knowing what I need to do. Prioritizing helps, but sometimes being able to check offa few small items gives me the boost to keep going.
- Ask for help. Often times just getting a project started makes it easier to jump in and complete it.
- Mornings are my best time to get things done. I know not everyone is a morning person, but you know when you’re at your best. Use that time to put a dent in your list.
- Music for me is a great motivator. Mozart for working, AC DC for housework. You get the idea.
- I take breaks often. Generally, I’ll take a moment when I need one, but at a minimum between tasks.
With some planning and organization there is no reason why you should find yourself running around like a chicken with its head chopped off!
By: Donna Simpson, Consultant Manager
Donna J. Simpson MBA, CGBP
The University of Scranton SBDC
800 Linden Street
Scranton, PA 18510
Artwork adapted from freepik.com