Many clients look to The University of Scranton SBDC for guidance when trying to select a name for their small business. This weeks #BusinessTipTuesday refers to Name Tag Day, which falls on Thursday, March 9th. This is a good reminder to the importance of picking the right name for your business.
Some tips to remember are:
- Avoid acronyms … you want something that people can easily pass on via word-of-mouth, as that still is the best way to market your business.
- Try to think about the image you are trying to portray, and chose a name that reflects that.
- Resist naming the business after yourself, especially if you have a name that is hard to pronounce or spell.
- Think in terms of online marketing, use keywords or phrases that will help you get found online.
- Ask for help. Share your business name ideas with friends and family and illicit feedback.
Remember, your local SBDC consultant is always a valuable resource when making any business decisions. So contact your local SBDC for assistance in starting your small business.
Keith D. Yurgosky
The University of Scranton
Small Business Development Center